The castle name "Lembeck" is derived from Low German. It can be translated as "Lehm-bach", which indicates the former location of the castle in the middle of a swamp and bog area. Adolf von Lembeck was the first knight of this name to be mentioned in documents in 1177 as a ministerial of the Münster diocese. Dietrich Conrad Adolf von Westerhold-Hackfurt had the castle extended and converted into one of the largest moated castles in the Münsterland region between 1670 and 1692. After the conversion work, a Baroque garden was laid out to the west of the castle according to designs by August Reinking, based on the French model with symmetrical path axes.
50th anniversary of the death of the painter Hanns Hubertus Graf Merveldt and 90th anniversary of the death of the painter Paul Graf Merveldt