The impressive Renaissance façade of Haus Beckebans attracts all eyes on a walk through beautiful Billerbeck. The magnificent mansion is located in the middle of the town centre and is considered the most beautiful and important secular building in the town and a monument of supra-local significance.
The house, which was first mentioned in a document in 1409, does not provide any information about whether it was an urban nobleman's court or a rich burgher's house. It was not until much later that the property was given its ostentatious cladding and its name. At first it served as the home of the de Konynk and Buninck families and as a farmhouse whose rooms were shared by man and farm animal. In 1560, the house was given a magnificent brick façade in an elaborate bacon layer technique with a three-tiered gable with shell attachments.
The building was completed 90 years later with an intermediate storey. The current name of the house goes back to the Beckebans family inn, which was operated in 1903, before it was restored in 1974 to house a pharmacy and a bookshop. The art workshop inside today allows visitors to take a look inside the beautiful complex.