Raesfeld Castle is particularly well integrated into the townscape. At the front, small buildings nestle against the outer walls of the castle, while at the back the historic zoo awaits its visitors. With a height of 52.5 metres, Raesfeld Castle has the highest tower of all castles in Westphalia. The Raesfeld tourist information centre is also located directly at the castle and offers a wealth of interesting information about the castle and the zoo.
The history of Raesfeld Castle dates back to the early 12th century. It was owned by the Lords of Raesfeld and came into the possession of the von Velen family at the end of the 16th century.
From 1643 to 1658, the Imperial Count Alexander II von Velen, the "Westphalian Wallenstein", had the castle converted into a residential palace in the Renaissance style. In the first half of the 18th century, the von Velen von Raesfeld dynasty died out. The castle was inhabited only irregularly and gradually fell into disrepair.
At the beginning of the 19th century, parts of the complex were demolished or used as an agricultural estate until the 20th century. Of the former four wings of the castle, only the west wing with the distinctive stepped tower and the adjoining old building to the north with a rebuilt round tower remain today.
After the Second World War, the Chambers of Crafts of the State of North Rhine-Westphalia, as the new owners, had the remains restored. Today, the castle is the seat of the Chambers of Crafts' further education and training institution and is used for cultural events and as a restaurant.
Raesfeld Castle is very popular with cyclists. The restaurants in the immediate vicinity and the castle café invite you to take a break in the shade of the castle. The park benches offer beautiful views of the castle and provide an opportunity to catch your breath. The themed routes"100 Castles Route" and"Hohe Mark Nature Park Route" lead cyclists directly to the castle. The numerous signposted cycle paths also allow for beautiful day tours through the western Münsterland.