Gleaming white with a striking red roof: this is how Cappenberg Castle stands majestically and visible from afar on the ridge of the suburb of the same name in the town of Selm in southern Münsterland. It is one of the most important examples of Westphalian baroque monastic architecture. It is also the first monastery of the Catholic Premonstratensian Order in the German-speaking world.
In 1122, the last Count of Cappenberg, St. Gottfried, gave his castle and property to St. Norbert, the founder of this still very young religious order. The Romanesque collegiate church of Cappenberg was built as early as 1148 - but the present three-winged castle complex was not completed until the 17th century. Since then, it has framed the listed place of faith, which today is equally a place of pilgrimage for culture lovers and those seeking recreation.
Today, the collegiate church is a widely known venue, not only for church services, but especially for concerts. In the main building, an impressive museum has long since made Cappenberg Castle a cultural centre of attraction. In 2021, world-class art shows will again alternate here - the permanent exhibition "Der Freiherr vom Stein und Cappenberg" is open to everyone.