In the idyllic Baumberge hills lies the magnificent Havixbeck House in the town of the same name, framed by the glittering glow of a wide moat. With its architectural structures, the moated castle is a "typical Münsterländer" and built through and through of "Westphalian marble", the sandstone of the region. On guided tours of the grounds, you can be impressed by all the beauty of the listed castle, which is often mistakenly referred to as a fortress.
The complex, built in 1562, once belonged to the monastery of St. Mauritz as a schoolmaster's estate. Initially traded as a knight's fiefdom, the estate passed to the noble family of Bevern by marriage in 1450. They had the manor house built in the Renaissance style. At the beginning of the 17th century, the house was transferred as a dowry to the von Twickel family, who still live in and manage the castle today. Until the 19th century, the von Twickels had extensive architectural extensions carried out - among others, according to the plans of the master architect Johann Conrad Schlaun.