The magnificent former manor house Haus Pröbsting near Borken-Hoxfeld is today considered the oldest secular brick building in the Münsterland region. Since the beginning, the listed property surrounded by moats has stood for refuge, healing and mercy.
The building was named after the Probsteigut of the Vreden monastery in 1221, which was the property of a member of the von Gemen family. In the middle of the 14th century, he had the manor extended by the imposing manor house. In the 18th century, the estate was enlarged with wider moats, an outer castle with a gatehouse and a corner pavilion. This was followed by rapid changes of ownership, but their claims never lasted, so that the estate was characterised by vacancy and decay.
In the meantime already used as a nursing home, the good spirit of the knight's house was maintained. In 1986, the estate was restored in cooperation with the heritage authorities. At the turn of the millennium, the Schlossklinik Pröbsting established its headquarters here.
The poet Ilse von Stach saw the light of day at Haus Pröbsting in 1879 and wrote moving lines about her life on the manor in her novel "Haus Elferding". At that time, she also wrote stories about a "white woman" who once haunted the house at midnight with her parasol.