Steinfurt Castle is located between the old town of Steinfurt-Burgsteinfurt, which is well worth seeing, and the beautiful Bagno Park. These three attractions can be excellently combined on walks. Surrounded by mighty moats, Steinfurt Castle nestles harmoniously into the townscape.
The moated castle of Steinfurt is a ring-shaped fortress that was first mentioned in 1129. The landscape had no natural protection to offer. The oldest moated castle in Westphalia therefore stands on a circular island surrounded by the Steinfurter Aa river.
The first market settlement, which later became Steinfurt, arose in the shadow of the castle. In 1164, the lords of Ascheberg destroyed the castle. It was then rebuilt with the help of the Archbishop of Cologne, Reinald von Dassel, for the lords Ludolf and Rudolf von Stenvorde (Steinfurt). Today, Steinfurt Castle consists of the upper castle, the lower castle and the castle mill.
The double chapel is particularly remarkable: two chapels are connected by an opening and were used as double storeys until the 14th century. Steinfurt Castle is still privately owned today. It is inhabited by the princely family of Bentheim and Steinfurt and houses the princely administration.
The most beautiful photo motif is undoubtedly the gatehouse of the castle. From Burgstraße, which connects the town centre and Bagno Park, you have a wonderful view across the water areas to the historic building.