Working in Münsterland | Employment of Ukrainian refugees
© Stadtwerke Münster
Professional recognition

Is professional recognition obligatory?

Professional recognition is not mandatory for all professions. A distinction is made between non-regulated professions and regulated professions:

Non-regulated professions: These usually include the IHK & craft professions and professional recognition is not obligatory. Nevertheless, formal recognition of Ukrainian professional qualifications offers many advantages for the skilled worker and for companies and is therefore important for longer-term labour market integration.

Regulated professions: These include, for example, health professions or teaching professions and recognition of professional qualifications is mandatory.

You can find more information on the recognition of professional qualifications of Ukrainians on the homepage of the German Chamber of Industry and Commerce.

Who is responsible for carrying out the recognition procedure of professional qualifications?

Non-regulated professions

The chambers are responsible for conducting the equivalence examination in non-regulated professions. However, it is organised differently depending on the chamber area. In the Chamber of Industry and Commerce (IHK) sector, for example, it is largely carried out centrally at the IHK FOSA (Foreign Skills Approval) in Nuremberg. In the skilled crafts sector, on the other hand, recognition is organised decentrally, i.e. each Chamber of Skilled Crafts (HWK) in Germany accepts applications for recognition and also decides on them.

Regulated professions

In the case of regulated professions, for which access to the profession is regulated by the state, responsibility is based on the respective sectoral law and the regulations of the federal states.

The chamber in your region is the point of contact for those seeking recognition as well as for employers. The staff in the chambers provide information on the procedure, duration and costs of the equivalence examination and on funding opportunities. They also help to find a suitable German reference occupation for which the equivalence of the foreign qualification is to be checked. They also provide support in compiling the documents and evidence to be submitted for the procedure.

© Münsterland e.V./Anja Tiwisina
Contact points in Münsterland

You can also find more information on recognition on the page of the KOFA.

What does the recognition cost?

The equivalence assessment of foreign professional qualifications is subject to a fee. The specific amount of the application fees is up to 600 euros, depending on the effort involved. At the IHK FOSA, for example, the costs average 550 euros. There are often additional costs, for example for obtaining documents from abroad, for correspondence, postage and copies, certifications and translations.

In addition, if the foreign qualification is certified as "partially equivalent", costs may be incurred for an adaptation qualification. The adaptation qualification must be completed in order to obtain "full equivalence" in a subsequent application for recognition. Various subsidies can be applied for to cover the costs incurred in the recognition process.

The BQ-Portal provides an overview of the costs associated with the procedure and selected fee schedules of various competent bodies as well as possibilities for financial support.

On the BQ-Portal you will also find comprehensive information on foreign education and training qualifications that can help you to better evaluate and assess them.

What documents are needed for counselling?

Some information is needed for counselling so that the counsellors can help better. This information is important:

  • What is the exact name of the profession or course of study in the country of training?
  • Which degree is to be recognised?
  • Has an application for recognition already been submitted? If so, with which competent authority?

The following documents can be brought to the counselling by the refugee:

  • Certificates
  • Overview of subjects and grades
  • Diploma Supplement
  • Proof of work experience (e.g. employer's references, work books)
  • Proof of identity
  • Current contact details
  • Curriculum vitae
  • Proof of German language skills
  • If an application has already been submitted: the decision and the letters from the competent authorities.

If information or documents are still missing, it does not matter. All documents are only required for the application. Do you already have documents in German translation? If so, please bring them with you to the counselling session.

Not all documents need to be translated for the counselling. The counsellors will let you know if other documents need to be translated for the application.

General Ukraine aid in the Münsterland

© Münsterland e.V./Philipp Foelting

The city of Münster and the districts in the Münsterland region provide information on their websites on the topic of Ukraine aid. As a rule, the contact persons in the cities and municipalities are also listed there.

  • District of Borken. You can find more information here.
  • Coesfeld district. You can find more information here.
  • City of Münster. You can find more information here.
  • Steinfurt district. You can find more information here.
  • District of Warendorf. You can find more information here.

Link-Tips Ukraine-Aid

Selection of links on the entry and residence of Ukrainian refugees
  • KOFA Competence Centre for Skilled Workers. More information can be found here.
  • Federal Ministry of the Interior and Home Affairs. You can find more information here.
  • Network Companies Integrate Refugees. You can find more information here.
  • Federal Ministry of Education and Research. You can find more info here.

Your contact persons

Get in touch and let's talk about your concerns. We will be happy to develop the next steps together with you.

Monika Leiking
© Münsterland e.V./Anja Tiwisina
Monika Leiking
Head of Service Onboarding@Münsterland

0049 2571 94 93 15

Birgit Stübing-Beunink
© Münsterland e.V./Anja Tiwisina

More information