Restrained and modest, surrounded by trees and behind small brick walls, lies the proud Efing manor house in northern Bocholt. The well-kept baroque estate, once built as a moated castle and still surrounded by intact moats, looks back on a long and eventful history.
The first documentary mention of Haus Efing dates back to 1323, but the exact year of construction is unknown. At that time, the complex served as a monastery for the Poor Clares, but soon became private property again. The first residential house was built in 1570 by the von Rhemen family, who also had the striking octagonal tower erected. Only this architectural masterpiece survived the Thirty Years' War. The estate was probably rebuilt in its present form between 1655 and 1669. The gatehouse from the 18th century is also still preserved. In the following years, the building was again used as a monastery for the Poor Clares and as a commercial school. Recognising the true beauty of the noble estate, the manor house underwent a fundamental renovation when it once again came into private ownership in 1996.
Haus Efing kann nur von außen mit etwas Abstand besichtigt werden.