Surrounded by moats and situated on the green southern edge of Billerbeck, Haus Hameren, a listed building, towers gracefully above the town. In the peaceful surroundings of the place of recreation and pilgrimage lies the private moated castle, a well-kept architectural monument with a far-reaching history. A history that is visible in many places: a medieval residential tower is still preserved on the eastern island, and next to it is a detached Gothic chapel from 1493.
The house can only be visited on request and for selected events.
The history of Haus Hameren dates back to 1325: at that time, the Knights of Hameren took over the Schultenhof Hessling and had a moated castle built there. In 1480, the castle was sold to the noble family of Raesfeld.
In 1543, Arndt von Raesfeld divided the site: the western island went to his son Johann, who built his own castle on it. It is called Hameren-Schildern after its later owners. The second son Ludger received the eastern island with the older buildings: Hameren-Raesfeld. In 1765 both parts were reunited.
Marie-Antoinette von Raesfeld had Hameren-Schildern lavishly remodelled into her widow's residence from 1776. Around 1814, however, all the inventory was auctioned off and Hameren House was leased to the Trappist Order. In the middle of the 19th century, the estate was inherited by the Barons of Twickel.
Haus Hameren befindet sich in Privatbesitz und kann nicht besichtigt werden.
Spread the word! #münsterland #thegoodlife