The Botanical Garden of the Wilhelms-Universität zu Münster on the edge of the city centre is much more than a scientific institution. Rather, the Botanical Garden is also appreciated as an oasis of tranquillity. But garden lovers naturally come to the grounds of the university at Münster Castle because of the plants.
The Botanical Garden in Münster was founded as early as 1803. The oldest collection is the Alpinum, which was established in 1823. There are a total of 23 themed gardens in the Botanic Garden, including the Touch and Smell Garden, the large Tropical House and the Orangery. In addition, numerous deciduous and coniferous trees are in the foreground of the total of 8,000 different plant species. Of the 10 greenhouses, 6 are also open to the public, but they only make up a small part of the entire complex.
As is to be expected in a university botanical garden, this is not a show garden with as many flowering plants as possible but a planting system to facilitate research and teaching. It is a good opportunity for visitors to look at plants from a scientific perspective and to learn more about plant systems.